Monday, March 9, 2020

Sugar Hill, NH

Ten painters from Western Avenue Studios and Brush Gallery both located in Lowell, traveled to Sugar Hill, NH and stayed at the Sun Set Inn for three days of painting. The weather we experienced was  typical for early spring New England weather..rain, sleet, snow, howling winds and peaks of sunshine all in three days.  So exhilarating! always challenging for plein air painters.


I brought along a kid's sled to transport my gear easily across the snow covered landscape. I brought my snow shoes along but didn't have a need because the snow wasn't all that deep for hiking out in search of a painting site. And besides, the mountain views from the Inn were spectacular, no matter where I stood.


On the second day, I did ventured out further from the Inn.  Precipitation was minimal: a few flakes were falling.  I started out at 9am with my sled packed with my gear.  When 1pm rolled around, my friends became concerned because I didn't return for lunch or possibly I had became lunch for a bear. I wasn't far from the Inn and so the search party didn't have a problem locating me. They let me be until I returned at 3pm.   I apologized for worrying them. 

I painted on a 16 x 20 panel divided by six. Once I found my painting spot, I just pivoted six times for a different view at the same spot. My palette was limited due to the lack of sun but my palette of warm and cool greys made for interesting color combos although the range created a somber feeling.

The last afternoon of my stay, I painted inside using sepia wash and a brush.  The Inn has a huge reception hall downstairs with a covered veranda: a perfect place for artists to work in inclement weather.   


The next morning after breakfast, I packed up, said my good byes and headed home. So glad I had the opportunity to see, feel, hear and smell snow again.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is fabulous the way you put this together! I really enjoyed the narrative along with the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Dave for reading and your comment. Got
    to do this again!

    ReplyDelete